Inspirational Minute: a passage from Civil Disobedience by Thoreau – “Unjust laws exist; shall we be content to obey them, or shall we endeavor to amend them, and obey them until we have succeeded, or shall we transgress them at once? Men generally, under such a government as this, think that they ought to wait until they have persuaded the majority to alter them. They think that, if they should resist, the remedy would be worse than the evil. But it is the fault of the government itself that the remedy is worse than the evil. It makes it worse. Why is it not more apt to anticipate and provide for reform? Why does it not cherish its wise minority? Why does it cry and resist before it is hurt? Why does it not encourage its citizens to be on the alert to point out its faults, and do better than it would have them? Why does it always crucify Christ, and excommunicate Copernicus and Luther, and pronounce Washington and Franklin rebels?”
Foreclosures – House being occupied by the foreclosure team. Address available at GA, not online. SEIU has a new foreclosure discussion group. Letters written to officials to bring light to this local/national issue.
Food: Stew and doughnuts!
Treasury: $539 in donations, $200 for food monies.
Legal: Board of Sups to change curfew – our meetings always go past curfew. Also we are Adults, don’t need a mommy in the local Gov. No camping/ sleeping ban change.
DC Group: Need funds to go to DC $700 + to raise. Would like to show solidarity with the other OccuPies there! Funds being raised and donated from treasury.
Outreach: Events on 17th, 18th and 20th for OSC and National Occupy! More info to come. Also a new idea-farm by inviting outside groups such as Churches and Unions!
Proposal: $300 out of Treasury funds towards the DC working group’s $700+ need of traveling funds. This will not be a personal trip but one of OSC members to show support/representation/solidarity with the Occupy Movement for upcoming DC action of Occupy Congress.
1) Aren’t the funds donated directed toward certain things that would not be available for this?
A) Two funds, one WePay for general needs that includes the $539. Another for restoring the area (camp) which currently has no funds.
2) India Joze will provide food for meetings to ease some of the food costs, giving us more wiggle room with our funds.
3) Maybe you guys can do some more personal fund raising and come back to this group for $ after?
4) This trip may be a good way to excite the community – good way to fundraise?
5) Maybe a separate fund altogether? A) Not enough time in my opinion.
6) It would allow the DC working group to go if we give these funds. They may be able to make some of the $ back in DC.
7) Our money has been sitting idle for a month. We can always make more money.
8 ) This is a great networking opportunity!
9) What will the $300 be used for? A) Fuel
10) Why is this important for our group? A) TO “represent” our Occupy on a National level and to form new connections in person.
11) What about the environmental impact of this? I would say try and find a better, more cost effective way to get there.
A) This is the most cost effective for the group to get there and one of the only ways to do so.
Vote: YES! (One Thumbs down spoke to our Occupy Goals being ignored but didn’t block/ or FA)
Proposal: Put time and energy into making flyers/ web blitz and other PR materials for the Occupy action on the 20th of Jan.
1) The Women’s League of Peace and Freedom is planning an event. Work together/ network?
2) How many people will make signs?
A) A few volunteers.
3) There is a bringing the community together meeting on the 18th.
4) UCSC is having their first GA of the year on Monday the 9th. 7 PM @ Kresge College. Check out the Facebook page.
Discussion: Outreach events!
1) Listening group
2) Spokes-council meeting group. (Remember we DO NOT have Leaders – no one really represents Anyone else.)
3) Churches, Unions to be involved in new outreach event. Need a media team/ press release.
1) Action at Chase Bank 12 -2 to bring light to home foreclosures and to free Tesla’s energy.
2) Re-Occupy and Bank take over@ Occupy Oakland on Jan. 28th.
3) City Council Meeting of Monterey (Colton Hall) to show support for their attempt at shutting down the camp on 17th Jan.
4) Just for fun 8:30 Blue Lagoon comedy – also SubRosa open mic tonight.
4) Have a coffee meeting?
A) Happening – (Please do not segregate into groups, let people know – making small secret groups is Not what Occupy is about)
5) Ayla and other artists willing to donate their Occupy art for $$ for treasury.
6) Maybe portraits of Occupiers?