GA October 21
October 22, 2011 admin General Assembly
- Guerilla Drive-In. Photo by Justin White.
Tonight’s GA concluded with a screening of V for Vendetta, preceded by a few “subversive shorts.” Many thanks to Guerilla Drive-In for coming to Occupy Santa Cruz!
Working Group Reportbacks
Tactics: A consensus upon a change of name from “Direct Action” to “Tactics.” A new sub-group called “Street Theatre” created, see David S. for more details. Next meeting: 4:30pm Monday, October 24.
- An attorney is interested in representing OSC.
- SCPD is photographing and keeping an eye on the encampment in San Lorenzo Park. They are aware of and support our sanitation efforts in the park.
- Youth Soccer Leagues are beginning in the park soon, and rent most of the grassy areas near the river up to about the current location of the Medical Tipi.
- You can sign-up online (http://www.takethemameal.com/index.php; type “occupy” for both the recipient and password boxes) for a dinner slot to share a meal with Occupy Santa Cruz!
- Needs help promoting and getting food for OSC Family Day and the Human Chain event.
- Discussed issues regarding people not able to hear during GAs:
- If you can’t hear, move closer first.
- Cup hands around mouth when talking to the GA.
- Use the loudspeaker.
- Speak in short phrases for the loudspeaker.
- Creating a temporary sound barrier to block traffic noise during GAs.
- Discussed the role of the “greeter.”
- Members of Process will attend other groups’ meetings and report back process issues within the working groups.
- Thanks for more fliers!
- Getting more organized.
- Working on inter-group communication.
- Needs help! There are only two people part of this group.
- New Media Content Policy is in the works to be posted online at OSC.org soon. This will allow for more voices and opinions to be seen on the website through a moderated “Community Perspectives” page and an unmoderated public forum.
- Press Releases regarding the Statement of Nonviolence and Human Chain event have been released.
Sanitation & Environment:
- Needs reusable dishes and utensils!
- Do not throw away plastic utensils as they can be washed and reused.
- Use appropriate trash bins: Trash, Recycle, and Compost.
- Obtained a vehicle for Port-a-Potties!
- A small group was donated a free CPR certification class!
- There are medical supplies at camp and there is an inventory every Friday.
- Educational pamphlet for marches, etc.
Mission Statement: Meetings take place in the Tipi after every GA currently, but may change due to lack of light in the Tipi later in the evening.
- Queer March by The Diversity Center
- Next Thursday, October 27 at 9:00pm starting at the Clock Tower. Ends at Madhouse on Seabright for an after party.
- Proposal: Invited OSC to join, we will march in support of this march as OSC (rather than as autonomous individuals).
- Many in support of joining the march as OSC.
- Consensus! OSC will march along with the Queer March.
- Proposal: Add a place to ask “random” questions to the agenda under Announcements for people with unanswered questions.
- Consensus! There is now a place for questions under Announcements.
- Grass Care
- Fencing the grass area to mitigate damage. Talk to county about getting a fence.
- Use sidewalk instead of walking on grass.
- Use native grass or plant food instead of current grass.
- Be careful of short fences.
- Bright colored tape better than fences.
- Sent to Sanitation & Environment work group to discuss and bring a formal proposal to the GA regarding grass care.
- Public Bathrooms
- Need to address the issue of bathrooms directly.
- Ask city to leave the bathrooms in San Lorenzo Park open all night.
- City has the responsibility to provide bathrooms.
- The city will soon complain about OSC soon regarding sanitation issues.
- Sheriff came by today to check in on camp.
- Sent to Sanitation & Environment work group to discuss and bring a formal proposal to the GA regarding bathrooms.
- Visitor from Occupy San Francisco:
- Asked what OSC does about handling money: who has access, how is money spent and distributed, etc.
- Reported latest about Occupy San Francisco: SFPD has stated there will be no further raids. They have about 180 campers every night.
- Guerilla Drive-In movie tonight!
- Voices from the Village Community Television wants to talk with people from OSC on live television Sunday, October 23 at 7:00pm.
- One person read a statement as a reminder that now is the time to understand each other and to top fearing one another. Unity is the key to success.
- WAMMFest is Saturday, October 22 and has offered slots for OSC to speak.